Slows Downloading on PC is the most annoying thing that every PC user comes across. However, there are specific techniques that can help you to increase download speed on PC. If you are among those users who spend a lot of time using PC and downloading movies, games, apps, etc. but annoyed by slow download speed, this post is for you. Here we will list some techniques that will help you to increase download speed on your PC. So, let’s start!
Test Your Internet Speed
If your downloading speed on PC is taking a longer time than usual, the very first thing that you required to do is to check your internet connection speed. Checking your internet connection speed will enable you to know whether your internet speed is slower than usual. To check your internet connection speed, you can use the Google internet speed option. Below is how you can do it;
- Open a browser from your computer.
- Type speedtest.net in the URL bar of the browser and hit the Enter key.
- It will open a web page where you will see an option of Go.
- Click on that option.
If it shows your internet speed slower than usual, you need to minimized devices connected to your network to increase download speed on PC.
Disable Apps You Aren’t Using
If you are downloading files on your PC and the download is slow, you have the option to close apps taking the bandwidth that you aren’t using, such as online games and videos. The simplest way to download these background apps is by using Task Manager. Below is how you can do it;
- Right-click on the taskbar.
- Click on the Task Manager.
- It will launch a window where you will see an option saying More Details at the bottom.
- Click on the More Details option.
- It will launch a list of all the apps running in the background.
- Select the apps you aren’t using and then click on the End Task option.
- Check whether the download speed is increased.
Stay Closer to your Router
If you are connected to a wifi network, and the wifi signals are weak, it might slow your internet speed and cause a slow download. To avoid this, it is recommended to stay closer to your wifi router to get strong wifi signals to increase download speed on PC. Another way to increase internet speed, which will also help to increase downloading speed on PC, is to reset your router cache by unplugging both your router and modem and then plugging it back.
Switch Wifi to Ethernet
If your download speed is slow while you are using a wifi connection, you can switch to an Ethernet connection using an Ethernet cable directly connected to your PC from your router. Sometimes you get weak wifi connectivity that causes a slow internet speed. Switching over to a LAN connection will help you to get a good internet speed and to increase download speed on PC. For this, you just need an Ethernet cable. Connect one end of your Ethernet cable to your PC’s LAN port and the other to your Router’s LAN port located at the back of your router.
Turn of Online Streaming Services
Online streaming services require good internet speed to stream movies, TV shows, videos, etc. They can significantly drain on your internet speed. If you are facing slow download problems while using streaming services, such as Youtube, Netflix, Hulu, or any other streaming apps, you need to turn them off to increase download speed on PC. Disabling these services will boost your download speed; moreover, if you should also close the browser window and tabs that you aren’t using.
Limit Bandwidth Used for Downloading Updates
If your internet connection speed and your download speed suddenly slow down, it is more likely possible that your PC is downloading automatic system updates in the background. You can increase download speed on the PC of your file by disabling the automatically download updates option. To do this, you are just required to follow these simple instructions;
- Go to the Start menu from your PC.
- Click on the Settings option.
- Click on the Updates and Security option from the list.
- Now, click on the Windows Update tab located at the left panel.
- Click on the Advanced Options.
- Click on the Delivery Optimization option by scrolling down to the bottom of the window.
- Again, click on the Advanced options located at the bottom.
- Tick the box saying Limit how much bandwidth is used for downloading updates in the background.
- Set the slider to 100%.
- Restart your PC to see whether the download speed is improved.
Reset DNS Server Address
Yet another technique that you can try to increase download speed on PC is resetting the DNS server settings. The process is simple, and you can do it easily by following these steps;
- Right-click on the arrow option located in the tray icon of your PC.
- Select the Network and Sharing Settings option.
- Now, click on the Change adapter options,
- If you are using a LAN connection, right-click on the Ethernet, or else right-click on the Wifi option.
- Right-click on the Ethernet or Wifi depending on which connection you are using and click on the Properties option.
- Now click on the option reading as Internet Protocol Version 4 and then click on the Properties option.
- Check the radio button located beside Use the following DNS server addresses.
- For using Google DNS server, type 184.108.40.206 in the Preferred DNS server field and 220.127.116.11 in the next field, saying Alternative DNS.
- Click OK and restart your PC to see whether download speed is increased on your PC.
If you love playing games online or want to download videos and movies online on your PC, you will need a good download speed because the latest games and movies in HD quality has a large size. If you are facing a slow download speed problem, you can use techniques mentioned earlier to increase download speed on PC. If this article helps you, write us a comment below.
Q: Why downloading speed is so slow on Windows 10 PC?
Ans: If you are facing a slow download problem on Windows 10 PC, try turning off the automatic system updates to increase download speed on PC.